Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Seal pup finds comfy sofa

Seal pup's antics featured in Wellington's Dominion Post

I can't resist posting this.  Maybe little or nothing to do with the written word, but it's definitely cute.

Annette Swoffer of Tauranga got the shock of her life when a seal pup popped in through her cat door, socialized with her cats in the kitchen, and then made itself at home on her sofa.

"I thought I was hallucinating," she said, so she called a friend to come and look.

"I said to him, what's that, and he said, a seal, so I knew I wasn't having a stroke."

It looked so beautiful that she wanted to give it a pat, "but I knew you aren't supposed to touch wild animals," so she phoned the SPCA.  The SPCA, in its turn, called the Department of Conservation, where they were on seal alert, because someone had already reported a pup ambling along the street.

Annette Swoffer was right not to touch the cutie, because seals have a nasty bite, and human hands look like fish.  Any New Zealander who happns to see a seal or other wild animal in similarly strange circumstances should call the DOC hotline 0800 DOC HOT.

No comments: