Search This Blog

Monday, November 1, 2010

TOP BABY'S NAME

Well, I read the story in a newspaper, and people's names are often written down, but the topic of popular babies' names scarcely qualifies for this blog . . .

Nevertheless, I found it so thought-provoking that I thought I would share it with you.

The top choice when choosing a name for a baby boy born in England or Wales in 2009 was ...

Wait for it.

Mohammed.

It is not on the official list, however. This was because Mohammed can be spelled in twelve different ways (including, I suppose, Hamid, and Ahmed).  The two most common spellings, Mohammed and Muhammed, came in at 16th and 36th place, making a total of 7549 baby boys given one version or the other of the Prophet's name.  Statistics are statistics, however, so Oliver, given to 7364 children, topped the list for boys.

The demographers must be sitting up and taking notice, because surely it cannot be put down to fashion.

Otherwise the names, ranging from Harry to William, are sturdily Anglo-Saxon, perhaps with the exception of those fine Biblical monikers, Joshua and Daniel.

Olivia is still top choice for girls. 

2 comments:

Vanda Symon said...

Fascinating!

I like your new blog look (-:

World of the Written Word said...

Blogger offers so many looks now, I may change it as often as I change my clothes!