Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

TYPE ONTO YOUR COMPUTER WITH A TYPEWRITER


GalleyCat on mediabistro.com ran the headline that intrigued me.  Tired of pecking away on a midget laptop keyboard?  Miss the old IBM?  Well, an innovative artist, Jack Zylkin, has the answer -- a gadget that connects a typewriter to your computer via a USB port. 

It could be the answer to repetitive strain syndrome, too, as well as providing that nostalgia rush.  It could be dangerous to get used to zipping the carriage back at the end of every line again, though ....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hye! i hope i can took this pictures for my magazine contest! thanks!

World of the Written Word said...

Pictures of typewriters are in the public domain. You can go to the embedded link and contact Jack Zylkin if you want a video, I see. Good luck with your contest. Do you have a link to it?

Franklin Researcher said...

I don't know how I missed this! I have one of Zylkin's conversion kits. I had planned to use it on an old Smith Corona portable I have, but when I got looking around at the antique typewriters out there, I was totally sucked in. I now have a collection of 16 typewriters, the newest of which is my old Smith Corona, from the 1940's. All of the others are from the 1920's or earlier.
I still have not turned one into a USB machine.

World of the Written Word said...

Amazing hobby! Congratulations, and enjoy.

Steven Page said...

I gotta have this!